When purchasing windows for your restoration or new construction project, you most likely want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you evaluate your options, ponder these facts:
- Windows can affect the interior and exterior character of your
Beltsville area home.
- Your window choice can make a drastic
difference in your home’s comfort level and energy costs.
- The material and
durability of your windows can have a healthy
impact on the overall value of your Beltsville area
home if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to investigate the style and function selections available, you will be happy with your purchase and enjoy the pleasure of gazing through your new windows for years to come.
What factors should you consider when purchasing replacement windows for your Beltsville home?
- Will my new windows look good on my house?
Remember that you are going to see your replacement
windows most often from the inside of your home, not the outside. Stand inside and study the view
carefully; will the
type of window and color fit with your home’s décor? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? How does the sunlight appear during the morning and
afternoon? And remember to stand
outside from several different viewing positions to evaluate if the style of replacement window you are considering complements
with the overall façade of your Beltsville
- How much expected energy savings can I expect with these
windows? Get the facts
relating to your windows that relate to their energy
Among the issues to consider are U-values and
Low-E insulating glass with argon windows,
and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values grade
the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Compare efficiency
ratings as you conduct your research to help lower heating and cooling costs and receive the most value for your investment.
- Will your new windows operate as you expect them to? Just like purchasing a car, it is important to open and close a
window before you decide to purchase it.
Does the window open and close smoothly? How much
effort does it take to clean the window? Does the window
hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window coverings undisturbed? If the window will be a means of exit
in case of fire, be certain it opens easily and provides an adequately-sized opening.
- How will you install the windows? Installing your windows is either blended with the overall purchase price or involves
a third-party contractor. If you are using the
services of contractor, it may be smart to
inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your
- Is it easy to clean and maintain your new
windows? The weather in the Beltsville area varies often. Wind, rain, sun and snow can have
a negative impact on the appearance of the glass, especially on low quality
windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles .
- What is available in terms of color and hardware options? Color options can reflect your style and enhances the overall appeal of your Beltsville home. Some window producers offer few exterior color to pick from. Identify what restrictions are in place for the windows
you are considering. In addition, there
are plenty of option to coordinate window hardware with other hardware
options in your home, such as cabinetry
hardware, faucets and other fixtures.
- How much will you pay? The old saying “you get what you pay
for” is especially true when it comes to purchasing quality windows. The lowest
priced windows may not be your best buy.
Shop around and compare. Price should be a factor, but not the only
We urge you to visit Pella at the Beltsville area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at (301) 685-1715.