There is a stage every Beltsville winter when you can’t seem to find the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and chilly, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to distinguish where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to identify your Beltsville home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and breaks in uncommon areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with operable capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by establishing if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Beltsville to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to attend to the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Beltsville a call at (301) 685-1715 with any extra questions or possible replacement needs.